The four layers of rich and velvety lemon cake in this spring dessert are impressive, but the real star of this citrusy stunner is the silky-smooth homemade frosting. Tucked between each tier and wrapped along the outside of the cake, one lick of the frosting taste and… MORE+
- 3 Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, milk and 1 tablespoon lemon peel with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Beat in whipping cream and powdered sugar. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until stiff peaks form.
- 4 Slice each cake layer in half horizontally to make a total of 4 layers. (To cut, mark side of cake with toothpicks and cut with long, thin knife.) Fill each layer with 1/2 cup whipped cream mixture. Frost side and top of cake with remaining whipped cream mixture. Garnish with additional lemon twist. Store covered in refrigerator.
- If softening cream cheese in the microwave, transfer to a chilled bowl and continue as directed in step 3.
- For a quick frosting, stir 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel into each of 2 containers (12 oz each) Betty Crocker® Whipped whipped cream frosting.
- Create a Citrus Velvet Cream Cake by substituting orange peel for the lemon peel and garnishing top of cake with mandarin orange segments.
- To keep your serving plate clean while frosting the cake, place strips of waxed paper around the edge of a plate. Remove after frosting, and decorating is complete.
- If you’re looking for a stronger lemon flavor, experiment with adding a little extra lemon peel to the frosting.
- Looking for something to serve a larger crowd? This Lemon Buttermilk Cake serves 24 people!