With its tender chunks of beef coated in a luscious creamy sauce and served over a bed of buttery noodles, it’s no wonder Beef Stroganoff is such a hit. With all that flavor, you might assume it’s a complicated dish, but it’s actually quite the opposite. This from-scrat… MORE+
- It’s important to create a slurry with the flour and broth so the mixture will blend in with meat mixture in the skillet without forming lumps. Bringing everything to a boil thickens the skillet dish and cooking it for a minute or two cooks away any raw flour taste.
- A hearty dash of Worcestershire sauce really enhances meat-based dishes. It’s a liquid condiment that offers a rich, savory flavor to meat dishes and beverages (it’s made from garlic, soy sauce, onion, molasses, anchovies, and vinegar).
- The sirloin steak is easier to slice if it’s partially frozen. The steak strips cook fast and after a short simmer will result in a quick and easy week night dinner.
- Sautéing the aromatics (garlic and onion) first helps define their taste by taking their pungent edge off and allowing them to develop a natural sweetness.
- White button mushrooms are delicious in the creamy sauce; for a different flavor, try shiitakes (remove the stems and slice them) instead.