A thoughtful 13-year-old son went to great lengths to buy his mom a new car when she needed one, performing yardwork for neighbors and even trading in his Xbox to ensure she could get where she needed to go. William Preston, from Fernley in Nevada, knew that his mother Krystal was struggling financially while raising him and his two siblings and he wanted to do whatever he could to help out. So, he devised a plan to get his mom a car and that’s exactly what he did.
1. William was inspired by YouTube videos. Like many good ideas, William came up with his plan to get Krystal a car after seeing other people pulling off the trick on YouTube. “I saw on YouTube where people get their mom a car and then surprise her with it,” he told local news station KOLO. “I wanted to do that.”
2. He found a car for sale on Facebook. William noticed that there was a woman selling a 1999 Chevrolet Metro on Facebook Marketplace and knew that’s the one he wanted to get for his mom. He didn’t have the money to pay for it outright, of course, so he thought there might be a different way to get it. “It was really cheap so I asked her if I could trade or earn it, and at first she said no and after she thought about it, then she said yes,” William recalled.
3. Sponsored: The best dating/relationships advice on the web. Check out Relationship Hero a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes. Just click here…
4. William wasted no time getting to work. Not only did he start doing yard work and other tasks for people in the neighborhood to earn money, but he even traded in his Xbox to top up his savings to pay for the car. Before he knew it, it was time to get the car. “I lost it, I bawled, I was just like, there’s no way,” Krystal said of seeing the previous owner standing on her driveway ready to take her to her new car. “And then she gave me the paperwork and the keys.”
5. Krystal was overwhelmed with love but also guilt. While Krystal was bursting with pride at how wonderfully thoughtful and hardworking her son is, she also felt bad because she didn’t believe a child should ever be put in his position. “The fact that my kid did this, I’m proud but as a mom I’m supposed to take care of my kids, I’m supposed to do this, not the other way around,” she said. “At my low point, here comes my son. Everybody goes through rough patches in their life, but there’s some good that can come from any situation as long as somebody with a heart does it.”
6. A GoFundMe set up by Krystal to raise money for her family also helped. After William made his incredible gesture and the story went viral, Krystal set up a GoFundMe page to hopefully get a little extra to help her through the family’s tough times. In total, they raised $13,000 which no doubt means the world to them. Here’s hoping things get better for them soon!