Is there anything better than eating s’mores by a campfire? Not only does the experience take you back to childhood, but the taste is also so delicious and enjoyable. As adults, we can still enjoy this pastime snack by the fire, but there’s also a more gourmet way to enjoy this all-time favorite. Jaime Bachtell-Shelbert of Wholly Nourished brought us back a little taste of childhood with her gourmet s’mores bars that are next-level delicious. She says that her favorite part of this dish is the ease. "They are so quick and easy to make and appeal to everyone," she raves. "They are also super customizable! You can add in anything you want … white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, you name it!"
The recipe calls for a graham cracker base mixed with milk chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Added marshmallow cream gives it the rest of the classic s’mores taste that is oh-so good and gooey but not as messy. Keep scrolling to find out how to make this fabulous dessert that will please a crowd.
Gather the ingredients
For step number one, assemble all of the ingredients that you will need. Hopefully, many of the items you’ll have in your baking stash; if not, a quick trip to the store is in order. The recipe calls for butter, brown sugar, and one large egg. You will also need graham crackers, all-purpose flour, and baking soda. To finish off the ingredients, grab a few sweet treats, including marshmallow cream, milk chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Now we can begin!
Preheat the oven and prep the ingredients
To kick things off, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In the meantime, line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Once the parchment is in the dish, spray it with nonstick spray. This is to ensure that these yummy s’mores bars don’t stick to anything.
Next, get a mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar. Beat the mix on medium for about 1 to 2 minutes until it’s smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat until everything is incorporated.
Blend the dough mixture
Get out your food processor and toss in the graham crackers. Pulse the mixture until the graham crackers turn into fine crumbs. When the graham crackers are crushed, add the flour, baking powder, and salt and quickly process to combine.
Now, go back to your mixing bowl and add the graham cracker mix. Continue blending everything until a dough forms. Next, divide the dough in half. Then press half of the mixture on top of the parchment paper in your baking dish.
Spread the layers
When you have your dough base on the bottom, it’s time for the second layer. Spread the marshmallow cream evenly on top of the dough. Next, it’s time for the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips. Spread those in an even layer, so there’s a little bit of chocolate and peanut butter in every bite. If you need help, use the photo for reference. It already looks so good and it hasn’t even baked yet! Now it’s time for the top layer.
Drop the dough clumps
Once you have your sweet base, add the rest of your dough mixture. Take the remaining dough in clumps and drop it on top of the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips. Then, press down lightly on the dough, so everything sticks together.
After a little bit of prep, it’s already time to put the bars in the oven! Set your timer for about 30 to 35 minutes and bake them until they’re golden brown.
Take out your bars and enjoy
Once the timer goes off and the bars have achieved that beautiful, golden brown color, they’re ready to come out. Remove them from the oven and let them cool off for a bit. Once they’ve cooled, slice and serve them however you please. "Serve for dessert or at a summer party or picnic," Bachtell-Shelbert shares. Alternatively, she adds that the are "perfect in the winter with hot cocoa!"
As for leftovers? "They won’t last long enough to store!" Bachtell-Shelbert jokes. "You can definitely freeze them or keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days."
These fancy, baked, gourmet s’mores bars will elevate your childhood camping memories of the chocolate, marshmallow, and graham cracker treat to new heights.
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup graham crackers (about 7 rectangle sheets)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup marshmallow cream
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment and spray it with nonstick spray.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Place the graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until they become fine crumbs. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and quickly process to combine.
- Add the graham cracker mixture to the butter mixture and blend until a dough forms. Divide the dough in half.
- Press half of the dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Spread an even layer of the marshmallow cream on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the chocolate and peanut butter chips evenly over the marshmallow layer.
- Drop the remaining dough by clumps on top of the chips and press down lightly.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Cool before slicing, and enjoy for dessert or bring to a summer picnic!