Carrots that taste like bacon and are guilt-free? Oh yes, dreams do come true! For my vegetarian and vegan friends, you better listen up, because this carrot bacon recipe is going to blow your mind! Even carnivores and bacon lovers will love this recipe too, because it’s just that addictive.
You can eat carrot bacon as a snack, as an appetizer, as a side for breakfast—really the possibilities are endless when it comes to this healthy treat. Roll it up in a wrap filled with veggies like avocado, sprouts and marinated cukes, or crunch on it right out of the air fryer or oven.
How to Make Carrot Bacon
The trick to perfecting carrot bacon is to use full-size carrots and not those baby carrots. You may want to also double the recipe because carrot bacon disappears quickly. Well, it does in my home!
Slice the carrots into thin strips using a regular vegetable peeler. If you peel your carrots too thick, they will not crisp up and instead be soggy. While it’s not an exact science, try to get the carrots sliced in a similar width. A mandoline or KitchenAid works great if you have one.
Why is Everyone Making and Eating Carrot Bacon?
- It’s salty and delicious.
- It’s crunchy.
- It’s a meatless alternative.
- It’s super easy to make.
- Watch out! It’s super addictive to eat.
How to Store Carrot Bacon
When storing carrot bacon, it will soften up a bit, but will still be amazingly delish. Store it in the refrigerator because remember, it’s a carrot. It will keep in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. If it gets soft, just place it in the oven or air fryer to reheat to be crispy again.
Learn how to make the recipe that first blew up on Tik Tok by watching this video from @iamtabithabrown, then try it out for yourself!
Best Carrot Bacon Recipe
- 1 large carrot
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp Rapeseed oil (or Canola)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ tsp tahini (or soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
Equipment (options for slicing the carrots!):
- peeler (you can also use a mandoline for thicker slices and double the cooking time)
- food processor
- cookie sheet
- silicone baking mat
- baking parchment
- Peel the top and tail off the carrot, then peel very long thin strips for the bacon.
- Blitz the rest of the ingredients together for 20 seconds in a food processor, until you have a thick marinade.
- Place the carrot and marinade into a dish, mix together so that all of the carrot slices are coated, and set to one side for 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Place the carrot strips side by side on a cookie sheet (lined with a silicone baking mat or baking parchment if it’s not non-stick), spread a little of the remaining marinade evenly over the strips, and then bake for 5-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your ‘bacon’ to be (see note).
- Remove from the oven, and enjoy your delicious plant-based bacony treat!
Most carrot bacon recipes call for liquid smoke, but I omitted since I didn’t have any on hand. I’m sure it just creates more of a smoky flavor, but the tahini makes it brown quickly.
Not all ovens are created equal, so if you know that your oven runs hot or cool, do adjust the temperature and/or cooking time accordingly. Similarly, if you use a fan oven, it will need to be a few degrees cooler than the recipe states. If you’re using an air fryer, to get crispy carrot bacon, air fry them a bit longer. Each air fryer is so different, but you’ll want to achieve the full crisp potential.
I warned you, carrot bacon is so delicious and addictive! Add some to a wrap or sandwich, or sprinkle over soups and salads for that extra flavor booster. Double the recipe if you are willing to share!
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking… especially when easy meals are involved! With five children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her very popular website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!