When recipe developer Susan Olayinka, the food and recipe blogger behind The Flexible Fridge, told Health Digest about her recipe for healthy Greek yogurt pancakes, let’s face it: She would have had us at either "healthy" or "pancakes" (not to mention Greek yogurt, whose place in the healthy food pantheon is well-deserved). And yes, we are well aware of how "healthy" and "pancakes" might appear at first blush to be at odds with one another. However, the fact is that when it comes to sweet and hearty breakfasts, pancakes are actually a solid option.
In any case, that was all before we even realized that Olayinka’s recipe calls for coconut flour. That is when we caught onto the fact that this recipe for healthy Greek yogurt pancakes also happens to be gluten-free. "This recipe means a lot to me at times [when] my family and I like to eat low-carb and high-protein," Olayinka explains. "Also, my son has developed a recent gluten sensitivity, so this recipe is absolutely perfect for our family."
Gather your ingredients for these healthy gluten-free pancakes
Most of the ingredients you will need for this delicious pancake recipe will be used in the pancake batter. For that, you will need a third of a cup of coconut flour, one teaspoon of baking powder, a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda, an eighth of a teaspoon of salt, four eggs, a teaspoon of maple syrup, a third of a cup of milk, and a quarter of a cup of Greek yogurt. To cook your pancakes, which you’ll be doing in a frying pan or griddle on the stove, you’ll need two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Follow these steps to mix the healthy Greek yogurt pancake batter
Start by preheating your oven to 250 F. This is a very low temperature, and its purpose will be to keep your pancakes warm after they’ve cooked but before you are ready to serve them. Now, grab a large mixing bowl, and into it, crack the four eggs and add your teaspoon of maple syrup, your milk, and your Greek yogurt. Whisk together to combine.
Then, measure and add in the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and whisk everything together to form a thin batter. And, by the way, if you find yourself amazed at how much liquid such a small amount of coconut flour can absorb, rest assured that you’re not alone. That’s one of the miracles of coconut flour, Olayinka tells Health Digest.
Fry up your healthy Greek yogurt pancakes
Use a pastry brush to coat a flat-bottomed frying pan with the oil after you heat it over medium-high heat. When the oil is sizzling hot, pour a half a cup of pancake mixture into the pan. Cook for two minutes on one side. Then, flip the pancake over with a spatula, and cook for one and a half minutes on the other side. Transfer the cooked pancake to a plate, and put the plate in the oven on the middle rack.
After all of the pancakes are cooked, remove the ones warming in the oven, and transfer to a serving dish. If desired, top with optional butter, maple syrup, and/or berries. Serve and enjoy, and give yourself a pat on the back for doing something good for your body.
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Butter for topping
- Additional maple syrup for topping
- Mixed berries for topping
- Turn on oven to 250 F.
- Put the four eggs, the maple syrup, the milk, and the Greek yogurt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and whisk everything into a thin batter.
- Use a pastry brush to coat a flat-bottomed frying pan with the oil, and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is sizzling hot, pour ⅓ of a cup of the pancake mixture into the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes on one side.
- Flip the pancake over with a spatula, and cook for 1 ½ minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the cooked pancake to a plate, and put the plate in the oven on the middle rack.
- For each pancake after that, just add a pancake to that same plate in the oven.
- After all of the pancakes are cooked, remove the ones warming in the oven and transfer to a serving dish.
- If desired, top with optional butter, additional maple syrup, and/or berries.
- Serve and enjoy.