The Las Vegas Raiders have reportedly parted ways with cornerback Damon Arnette after he posted a video on social media over the weekend threatening to kill somebody while toting numerous firearms.
Via his Instagram Story, the former first round draft pick is seen making the death threats. It isn’t clear who or why he was making them. During a conference call, Raiders general manager Mike Mayock said the decision to cut Arnette was a “very painful” one.
"We spent significant time, effort and resources trying to help him in all aspects of his life,” he said of the player, who has been on injured reserve since October 9, according to ESPN. "There have been a series of bad decisions over the last year or so, but we can’t stand, we cannot stand for the video of Damon with a gun, threatening to take a life. The content was unacceptable, contrary to our values and our owner Mark Davis has been very clear and very consistent that this is not how we will conduct ourselves in this community. The bottom line – the Raiders will not tolerate this type of behavior."
Mayock added that he spoke with Arnette, his father and others in his life and said "from my perspective, he’s a very talented young man with a good heart. He cleans up his life, I know he can make a living in the NFL. But not now, with the Raiders."
Selected 19th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, Arnette played in just 13 games, with seven starts, since the start of last season. He’s had three total passes defended and 29 tackles.
Arnette is also facing lawsuits stemming from a Las Vegas car accident last October. He’s the second player taken in the first round by the Raiders who has been cut over the past week. Last week, wide receiver Henry Ruggs III was cut after he was involved in a DUI car crash that killed 23-year-old Tina Tintor and her dog.