Two Truths and a Lie! How to Play, the Sneakiest Tips & Tricks, Plus 100 of the Best Lie Ideas We’ve Ever Heard
If you’re looking for a fun game to play with your friends, family or people you just met, Two Truths and a Lie (or 2 Truths & A Lie) is a great choice. Here’s everything you need to know about this classic game for both kids and adults—no game pieces or gear required. Plus, we’ve included the best Two Truths and a Lie ideas for every situation: your childhood, family, food, achievements, hidden talents and more!
How to Play Two Truths and a Lie
The game Two Truths and a Lie is usually played with a small group of people, but it can be played with just two people or a giant group of people, too.
To start, one person has to give three statements about themselves to the rest of the group. The trick is: all of the statements won’t be true—two of the statements given should be and one should be a lie.
After you’re finished, everyone should guess which statement they think you made up. Once everyone has made their guess, reveal which statement was your lie.
Keep the game going by then choosing someone who guessed correctly to go next and then play as many rounds as you’d like.
Tips for Playing Two Truths and a Lie
- Try not to say your lie last.
- Don’t over-explain your lie. Keep it short and sweet.
- Mix up the order of your truths and lie each time you go.
- Try to use one truth that is outrageous sounding so it can appear like it’s the lie and throw the other players off.
- Use simple lies that seem believable.
- Keep all the statements the same level of believability so it’s harder to figure out what is what.
- Don’t let your facial expressions give your lie away.
Good Two Truths and a Lie ideas about your childhood/family
1. I used to live in Colorado.
2. I was the first person in my family to go to college.
3. I cut my sister’s hair once.
4. I am left-handed like my dad.
5. I was in a commercial when I was little.
6. English is my family’s second language.
7. My dad has his pilot’s license
8. My mom has a twin.
9. My family goes to Disney World every year.
10. My family moved houses every 2-3 years when I was growing up.
11. I only have one cousin.
12. I had 6 dogs growing up.
13. My mom and I have the same middle name.
14. I grew up across from a farm.
15. My family drove everywhere when we traveled – we never flew.
16. I shared a room with my sister/brother growing up.
17. My dad has my name tattooed on his arm.
18. My uncle taught me how to drive.
19. My parents didn’t let me date until I was 17.
20. I go to yoga class with my mom once a week.
Good Two Truths and a Lie ideas about food
21. I am allergic to seafood.
22. I prefer having my cereal without milk.
23. I hate anything chocolate.
24. I once won a pie-eating contest.
25. My first job was at a restaurant.
26. Jello makes me gag.
27. I’ve never tried soda.
28. I am a vegetarian.
29. I always order my tacos without tomatoes.
30. I try to eat gluten-free.
31. I’ve never tried deep-dish pizza.
32. Wendy’s is my favorite fast-food chain.
33. I’ve eaten a bug before.
34. I can eat an entire watermelon in one sitting.
35. I’ve never tried brownie batter.
36. I’ve never had McDonald’s.
37. I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning.
38. I hate the smell of wine.
39. I was vegan for 2 years.
40. My Starbucks order is a grande half-caf latte.
Good Two Truths and a Lie ideas about achievements
41. I got into all of my top college choices.
42. I was given a college scholarship.
43. I got a perfect score on the English portion of the SAT.
44. One of my videos went viral.
45. I skipped a grade in middle school.
46. I’ve read over 400 books.
47. I own my own house.
48. I dropped out of college and then went back and finished a few years later.
49. I am a self-published author.
50. I’ve gotten every job I’ve interviewed for.
51. I was my school’s spelling bee champion.
52. I have paid off all my college loans.
53. I have two different degrees.
54. I graduated a semester early.
55. I was my school’s valedictorian.
56. I was Homecoming queen.
57. I’ve fostered 10 kittens in the last 2 years.
58. I was voted “Most likely to succeed” in high school
59. I have met the President.
60. I was promoted twice at work last year.
Good Two Truths and a Lie ideas about your skills and hidden talents
61. I can name all the members of BTS.
62. I can do a one-handed cartwheel.
63. I ran the NYC marathon once.
64. I have an Etsy shop.
65. I can hold my breath underwater for two minutes.
66. I know how to juggle.
67. I can do a back handspring.
68. I know how to change a tire.
69. I can drive stick shift.
70. I’ve taken salsa-dancing classes.
71. I’ve been skydiving twice.
72. I can burp the alphabet.
73. I competed in chess tournaments before it was cool.
74. I can fit 19 marshmallows in my mouth at once.
75. I have my scuba diving license.
76. I know how to knit a scarf.
77. I didn’t learn how to ride a bike until I was 20.
78. I can’t swim.
79. I have bowled a perfect 300.
80. I’ve taken trapeze-flying lessons.
Good Two Truths and a Lie ideas that make you sound fun/interesting
81. I’ve swum with dolphins before.
82. I don’t have a Netflix account.
83. I have traveled to 4 different countries.
84. I have never had surgery.
85. I know how to fishtail braid.
86. I have a selfie with Taylor Swift on my phone.
87. I have to take a bubble bath every night.
88. I have never dyed my hair.
89. I’ve been trapped in an elevator before.
90. I’ve never had anything waxed.
91. I go to the gym before work each day.
92. I still sleep with a stuffed animal at night.
93. I have never been a bridesmaid.
93. I’ve been to a nude beach.
94. I’m scared of rollercoasters.
95. I only wear natural deodorant.
96. I have over 100k followers on Instagram.
97. I’ve never had a cavity.
98. I had to get braces twice.
99. I’ve broken off an engagement before.
100. I’ve been stung by a jellyfish.