Nothing says "I love you" like homemade treats. Recipe developer Hayley MacLean has a sweet take on Chex mix that you won’t forget. It’s like puppy chow, but with a twist! You can customize this with your favorite candies or crunchy snacks. No matter the occasion, this snack makes the perfect party mix. Your loved ones will enjoy this year-round, but it makes an especially nice token of love on Valentine’s Day. We combined white chocolate, Valentine’s-themed M&M’s, and powdered sugar with sprinkles on top to give it that V-day vibe. Tell your favorite sweetheart to get ready. This snack will definitely leave them satisfied.
MacLean told our team, "This snack is so great because it is sweet and salty and perfect for enjoying during Valentine’s Day. The sweet white chocolate mixes so wonderfully with the peanut butter, creating a delicious coating to fill all the nooks and cranny’s in the Chex cereal. The candies are a classic favorite, and the roasted peanuts and pretzels give the perfect salty bite to make sure your palate doesn’t get overwhelmed by sugar." Stay with us and we’ll show you exactly how to make it.
Gather the ingredients for Valentine’s Day Chex mix
All you need to make this sweet mix is 2 cups of Rice Chex cereal, 2 cups of Corn Chex cereal, 1 cup miniature pretzel twists, a 10-ounce bag of Valentine’s-themed M&M’s, and ½ cup white chocolate chips. We also incorporate ¼ cup peanut butter, 2 tablespoons butter, ⅓ cup powdered sugar, and 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts. Anyone with peanut allergies may use a separate combination nuts, seeds, or nut butters, or you can skip them altogether. You’ll also need ¼ cup white candy melts, red food coloring (but only if you want your mix to have the pink-hued candy glaze), and 1 tablespoon of sprinkles. A combo of pink, white, and red sprinkles will keep you on-theme.
Mix the cereals and melt the chocolates
Begin by combining the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, miniature pretzel twists, and ½ the M&M’s in a large mixing bowl. Separately, in a microwave-safe bowl, heat the white chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1-1½ minutes. Be sure to stir the chocolate concoction about every 30 seconds until all ingredients melt into a smooth consistency. While it’s warmed, pour the creamy white chocolate mixture over the cereal mixture and stir together until well-incorporated.
Coat everything in chocolate
Transfer ½ of the coated cereal mixture into another large bowl. Drop the powdered sugar on top and stir to combine evenly.
Mix the other ½ of the cereal combo with the remaining M&M’s and peanuts. Spread this out on a parchment-lined baking sheet to prep for the next step. MacLean is clear that this recipe can be altered to accommodate allergies, "If allergic to peanuts, the peanut butter and roasted peanuts can easily be swapped out for almond butter and roasted almonds or any other nut combination you would like."
Make the colored candy coating
Next, toss the vanilla candy melts in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat them for 60 to 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until they’re silky smooth. If you’d like, add 2-3 drops of the red food coloring to turn the candy melts pink. Once the color and consistency is perfect, drizzle the melted candy over the cereal mixture on the baking sheet. Then, dash the mix with as many sprinkles as your heart desires.
MacLean told our team this is her fave, "My favorite step of this recipe is getting to drizzle on the melted chocolate and add the sprinkles! It is so fun and you can really add as much or as little as you like."
Let the coating dry, then eat up
This final part takes a bit of patience. Allow the candy melts to lay out while they cool and firm up. This may take about 15-20 minutes. Once the chocolate and candy covering is solid, you can break them up. Combine both mixtures together and you are party ready! This sweet and delicious Valentine’s Day Chex Mix can be enjoyed right away or saved for later. MacLean confirmed, "This mix can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week, making it a great make-ahead gift."
Now that you know how to make it, the question is when will you? No rush at all. We know once you make it, you’ll fall it love! From our kitchen to yours, enjoy.
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup miniature pretzel twists
- 1 10-ounce bag Valentine’s M&M’s
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup white candy melts
- 1 tablespoon Valentine’s sprinkles
- 2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Combine the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, miniature pretzel twists, and ½ the M&M’s in a large bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the white chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 60-90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Pour the white chocolate mixture over the cereal mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add ½ of the coated cereal mixture to another large bowl and add the powdered sugar. Stir to coat evenly.
- Stir the remaining M&M’s and peanuts into the other half of the cereal mixture and spread out to dry on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Melt the candy melts in a small microwave safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Add 2-3 drops of red food coloring to make the candy melts pink, if desired. Drizzle the melted candy melts over the cereal mixture on the baking sheet, topping with the sprinkles.
- Allow the candy melts to firm up for 15-20 minutes before breaking them up and combining them with the powdered sugar-coated half of the mixture. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.