Find all dragon locations, including random encounters and quest dragons, using our guide for Skyrim.
Dragons are some of the most fierce enemies in Skyrim. They are also the source of dragon bones, dragon scales, and special enchanted items. Dragons can also be tamed and used as flying mounts, which every player wants to do. Who wouldn’t?
This guide will provide you with all possible dragon locations in Skyrim. You will know where to find dragons, including random encounters, as well as unique dragons that play special roles in the world of Tamriel.
Where to Find Dragons in Skyrim
Look for Dragon Lairs
There are nine distinct kinds of dragons in Skyrim that can be distinguished by colors and elements:
- Brown Dragons (Fire, Frost)
- Green Blood Dragons (Fire, Frost)
- White-Blue Frost Dragons (Frost)
- Bronze Elder Dragons (Fire, Frost)
- Red-Black Ancient Dragons (Fire, Frost)
- Orange Revered Dragons (Fire)
- Black-Purple Legendary Dragons (Fire, Frost)
- Blue Serpentine Dragons (Fire, Frost)
- Undead Skeletal Dragons (Frost)
You can randomly face dragons in the open world, but if you wish a guaranteed encounter with a dragon, then you must visit one of the ten main dragon lairs, where these creatures protect ancient word walls (see the map above for exact spots):
- Ancient’s Ascent
- Autumnwatch Tower
- Bonestrewn Crest
- Dragontooth Crater
- Eldersblood Peak
- Lost Tongue Overlook
- Mount Anthor
- Northwind Summit
- Skyborn Altar
There are two more dragon lairs that are available in other locations besides the kingdom of Skyrim:
- Saering’s Watch. Located in the northern part of the Solstheim island.
- Bleak Falls Barrow. Located west of Riverwood village.
This dragon is the main antagonist of the game. You will encounter him several times throughout the main storyline at the following locations:
- Helgen, Falkreath ("Unbound" quest)
- Kynesgrove, Giant’s Run, Eastmarch ("A Blade in the Dark" quest)
- Throat of the World, Whiterun ("Alduin’s Bane" quest)
- Sovngarde, Aetherius ("Sovngarde" and "Dragonslayer" quests)
This undead dragon can be found at the Soul Cairn plane, which is accessible through the portal in the Castle Volkihar, Haafingar.
This frost dragon can be seen outside of Nchardak to the northeast of Tel Mithryn. You also need to complete "The Path of Knowledge" quest, given by Storn Crag-Strider at Skaal Village, Solstheim.
Kruziikrel, Relonikiv, Sahrotaar
These unique dragons can be encountered during the "At the Summit of Apocrypha" quest, given by Frea at Skaal Village, Solstheim. You will face the dragons after interacting with the Black Book: Waking Dreams at the Apocrypha plane inside Oblivion.
While doing the "Dragon Rising" main quest, given by Jarl Balgruuf at Dragonsreach, Whiterun, you will encounter Milmulnir outside Whiterun, attacking the Western Watchtower.
These two revered dragons can be found during "Touching the Sky" quest, given by Serana at the Forgotten Vale, Haafingar. They will attack you both at once at the giant frozen lake.
During the main quest this dragon will be resurrected by Alduin. Later you will have a chance to meet him at the Serpent’s Bluff Redoubt, Whiterun.
There are two quests that will require you to face Odahviing:
- Dragonsreach, Whiterun ("The Fallen" quest)
- Throat of the World, Whiterun ("Epilogue" quest)
The leader of the Greybeards faction is one mighty dragon, who can be encountered at Throat of the World, Whiterun during the following quests:
- "The Throat of the World"
- "Alduin’s Bane"
This dragon can be encountered at Dragon Mound: Kynesgrove Resurrection in the Eastmarch hold.
Here is another dragon resurrected by Alduin, who can be seen west of Anga’s Mill, The Pale during the "Elder Knowledge" quest, given by Paarthurnax at Throat of the World, Whiterun.
Find this dragon at the Great Henge Resurrection located southwest of Sleeping Tree Camp, Whiterun.
The last dragon cannot be found, but he can be summoned by following these steps:
- Travel to Blackreach, Winterhold, The Pale
- Locate a massive orb above the Debate Hall building
- Use Unrelenting Force dragon shout on the orb
- Wait for the Vulthuryol to appear
That’s all you need to know on where to find dragons in Skyrim. Also, be sure to check out our other Skyrim tips and tricks articles on the dedicated hub page.