Fourth of July, that chance to hit pause on the humdrum and enjoy the summer sun, might just be Betty’s favorite holiday — not counting Christmas, of course! And the best way to guarantee fun on the Fourth is to keep the apps comin’! Know that the kids get crabby after too much pool time? Stash a plate of 4-ingredient Nacho Cheese Pinwheels in the fridge, so they’re ready when hungry o’clock strikes. Suspect they’ll be a few extra guests? It only takes 15 minutes and a couple of kitchen staples to throw together a hearty batch of Grilled Picnic Taco Nachos. These recipes are so good, you could skip the main dish altogether and instead serve up a spread of Betty’s best Fourth of July appetizers.
Don’t get caught off guard, here’s how to keep your kitchen pantry party ready!
When You’re at the Store:
- Always, buy an extra block of cream cheese. You’ll never regret having this foundational ingredient in your fridge – creamy, crowd-pleasing dip coming right up!
- Stock up on some basics. You’ll be amazed at all you can do with simple ingredients, like: a can of your favorite beans – Down-Home Layered Dip or Grilled Picnic Taco Nachos – a package of bacon – Slow-Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Dip or roll-ups of almost any variety – or an extra carton of eggs – Zesty Deviled Eggs.
- Stock up on crunchy carrots, celery, peppers or whatever type of veggie your family likes to munch — there’s nothing wrong with pre-cut either. No one will complain when you serve these veggies alongside a creamy dip — remember that block of cream cheese?
When You’re Already in the Kitchen:
- Cook up some extra bacon at breakfast. You can use it later for Bacon- Jalapeno Turkey Roll-Ups or Layered California BLT Dip. Or, boil a dozen eggs, so you can throw together a batch of Zesty Deviled Eggs later.
- Got 10 minutes? Make the rub for the Grilled Firecracker Chicken Wings, make the dressing for the Fresh Tomato-Basil Caprese Kabobs, get your batch of Slow-Cooker Chex Mix going, etc. If you’ve got a guest who wants to help, let them, so you can prep these apps – your efforts will pay off later.
- Pull out your slow cooker – didn’t we tell you this appliance is seasonless! It’ll keep your queso hot, cook your meatballs and help you avoid the stove or oven.
Looking for more ways to keep the party going? All Betty’s Fourth of July recipes are ready and waiting for you.