The former boxing heavyweight champion claimed that Hulu “stole my life story” for its biopic Mike, which stars Trevante Rhodes and premieres on August 25. Tyson emphasized in his social media posts that he was not involved or financially compensated for the biographical project.
He captioned an Instagram post Saturday with the message, “Hulu is the streaming version of the slave master.” The post itself read: “Don’t let Hulu fool you. I don’t support their story about my life. It’s not 1822. It’s 2022. They stole my life story and didn’t pay me. To Hulu executives I’m just a n— they can sell on the auction block.”
Tyson also took to Twitter to express his frustration with the project, with one message reading: “Hulu stole my story. They’re Goliath and I’m David. Heads will roll for this.” A later tweet read, “Hulu’s model of stealing life rights of celebrities is egregiously greedy.”
On Friday, Tyson claimed on social media that Hulu offered UFC president Dana White “millions” to promote the show. “He turned it down because he honors friendship and treating people with dignity,” Tyson said.
When the show was first announced in February 2021, Tyson had expressed his disapproval in a since-deleted Instagram post, referring to the project as “tone-deaf cultural misappropriation.” Tyson has since signed on to participate in a different scripted TV project about his life that is in the works from star and executive producer Jamie Foxx and director Antoine Fuqua.
At the Television Critics Association press tour earlier this month, while presenting Mike, executive producer Steven Rogers (I, Tonya) and showrunner Karin Gist said their goal is to portray Tyson as neither hero nor villain.
“We just wanted to tell an unbiased story and have the audience decide what they think or feel,” said Gist. “Challenging what people think they know about Mike and hoping that they come away from the series with something else to think about.”