- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 2 1/2-quart round or oval baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add frozen mixed vegetables, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly heated.
Tips from the Pillsbury Kitchens
- Part of what makes this Shepherd’s Pie recipe easy is the fact that the ingredients are fully cooked before your layer them together in the baking dish, so you’re just heating them up until hot and aromatic.
- A main-dish pie is a great way to use that extra pound of ground beef. Try a few varieties of frozen vegetables you have stashed in the freezer for a different twist on this Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
- If you aren’t sure about the volume (how much the dish will hold) of your casserole dish, pour in measured amounts of water to be sure you won’t overflow it with the pie filling.
- Ground beef is the usual, budget-friendly go-to for weeknight meals, but stock up on other ground meats when they’re on sale. Ground turkey, chicken, or pork would be great in this easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Cook the ground meat with the onion until thoroughly cooked; continue with recipe.